Varsity Kansas has introduced a new series, Moment of the Year. The series will highlight the top moment or performance from the 2017-18 high school sports season for each of the Wichita-area schools. And now, the Douglass Bulldogs.
Coach Laron Nordstedt had never been part of anything like it.
His Douglass boys basketball team trailed Independent by 10 with 50 seconds to play. The Bulldogs came back to win 62-61.
The sequence started with a steal and a three-pointer from Caleb Eck to cut the deficit to seven. Seconds later, Kaden Dunham got another steal and hit a second three-pointer.
Douglass' Kaleb Hurd hit a free throw to make it a 3-point game, but Independent scored a pair of free throws on the other end.
The Bulldogs needed another three-pointer to have a legitimate shot, and Devon Anderson delivered. Independent went to the line on the ensuing possession but left Douglass four seconds down two.
Anderson dribbled into Independent's end of the floor, shot and sunk a running three-pointer at the buzzer for the win.
Douglass finished the season 4-16 and last in Central Plains League play, but the Bulldogs completed the most insurmountable comeback in the Wichita area and did it in style.
Nordstedt said it was like something that would normally be featured on Sportscenter's Top 10 plays.
“To not give up and continue to play till the end of the game speaks volumes to our guys’ resilience,” he said after the win. “They continue to come to practice and work their butts off, so for a moment like last night to happen was a very special moment for a very deserving and great group of guys.”
Other Key Moments
- Douglass girls cross country team finishes fifth at the Class 3A state meet. Freshman Kendall Coombes led the way for the Bulldogs, finishing 13th at 20:50.8. The Bulldogs won their league and 3A regional meet to qualify for state.
- The Bulldogs win the Central Plains League wrestling title for the seventh time in eight years. Alesia Cokely qualifies for the state tournament, becoming the first female from Douglass to qualify. She signed to wrestle at Ottawa University.
- Douglass clinches a share of the CPL softball title. The Bulldogs finished the season 11-5.
- Bulldog wrestler Ashten Dodson takes fourth at the 3A tournament in the 113-pound weight class.
- Douglass' Kolby Caster finishes fourth in the 3A boys pole vault at the Kansas high school state track and field meet.
Read Other Schools' Moments
- Andover Central
- Arkansas City
- Bishop Carroll
- Conway Springs