Here’s an end-of-the-week rundown of everything we discovered in the past seven days. This recap is for the week of Aug. 19-25.
And by the way, if you want all this information sent to your inbox every Friday, just sign up for the Dining with Denise newsletter by following this link.
OPENINGS AND CLOSINGS
▪ TGI Fridays closes without flair: TGI Fridays, which opened in NewMarket Square at 21st and Maize in 2005, closed for good on Monday. A company spokesman confirmed the closing and said Fridays was trying to transfer employees to other restaurants.
▪ Thunderbirds Burgers & Ice Cream opens: And it quite possibly doubles Towanda’s restaurant population.
▪ Two robberies, one disruptive road project, one fewer Subway in Wichita: A local Subway has closed after a tough summer.
▪ The New Stadium replaces the old Stadium: An abandoned Delano bar has new life.
▪ A new food truck with a familiar flavor: A favorite Towne East food court vendor is going mobile.
THINGS TO DO
▪ Go see the NUTmobile: The nut-shaped vehicle will be at a different Wal-Mart in the area every afternoon through Sunday.
▪ A delicious way to celebrate women’s equality: Hopping Gnome Brewing’s co-owner has put together a fun day of food, drink and celebration.
▪ Pet a goat and eat a bacon waffle sundae: That fun and more happens Saturday at Farms, Forks & 4-H.
NOW YOU KNOW
▪ Review: Delano’s dessert restaurant is a delicious, happy place: Here’s what I thought about Milkfloat.
▪ Doo-Dah Diner plans major overhaul: Bigger kitchen, more seats, upgraded everything.
▪ Sushi is out, ramen is in: A College Hill restaurant owner thinks Wichita already has too much sushi, and he’s closing to redo his menu.