Here’s an end-of-the-week rundown of everything we discovered in the last seven days. This recap is for the week of August 12-18.
And by the way, if you want all this information sent to your inbox every Friday, just sign up for the Dining with Denise newsletter by following this link.
OPENINGS AND CLOSINGS
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Wichita Eagle
▪ Barn’rds for the west side: Carrie Rengers reports that the owners of the original restaurant at 2037 N. Woodlawn are making plans to build a second restaurant north of 37th and Maize Road. Sadly, it’ll be a year to a year and a half before it opens.
▪ Peace out, Freebirds World Burritos: Last week, Wichita had two Freebirds stores. This week, it has zero.
▪ Even more rolled ice cream: We’ve already got 8 Below. And Freezing Rolls will open soon. Now, Freezing Moo, a Kansas City-based franchise, says it plans to open three rolled ice cream shops in the Wichita area.
▪ Farewell, fried pies: The Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies store that sits just off I-35 between Wichita and Oklahoma City is about to close, but its owners are hoping to find a Wichita entrepreneur to take it over and move it north.
THINGS TO DO
▪ Iron ChiliHead competition: One of the summer’s most popular food-and-drink parties happens Saturday at... a gardening center? It’s true. Johnson’s Garden Centers’ annual Iron ChiliHead competition, which features lots of craft beer samples, happens this weekend.
▪ Grub & Groove: Eat, drink and groove at this R&B music festival, which this year moves to Hartman Arena’s parking lot.
▪ The Wienermoble AND the NUTmobile: One will be here this weekend, immediately followed by the other next weekend. Here’s you chance to tour an edible-looking vehicle.
NOW YOU KNOW
▪ Delano’s Diner adds dinner: The new Delano restaurant is no longer just for breakfast and lunch.
▪ Self-service at McDonald’s: As long as you’re not afraid of technology, you can get in and out of some area McDonald’s without ever talking to a person.