Crime & Courts

Father of missing baby pleads guilty to removing court-ordered GPS tracker

Vincent Moore, who was born March 3, 2015, was last seen the morning of July 11, 2015, leaving a house near 31st Street South and Hydraulic with his father, 24-year-old Gary Moore.
Vincent Moore, who was born March 3, 2015, was last seen the morning of July 11, 2015, leaving a house near 31st Street South and Hydraulic with his father, 24-year-old Gary Moore. Courtesy photo

The father of a Wichita infant who went missing last summer pleaded guilty on Monday to cutting off a GPS tracking device that he had been ordered to wear as a condition of his probation in a 2014 battery case involving the baby’s mother. The charge isn’t connected to baby Vincent Moore’s disappearance, although the charge – coupled with a yearlong sentence ordered served because of probation violations – has kept 24-year-old Gary Moore Jr. in jail since late July.

The infant’s whereabouts remain unknown, Wichita police said Monday. No one has been arrested or charged in connection with Vincent’s disappearance.

Letter: Authorities think missing Wichita infant is dead | Search for missing baby Vincent Moore has yielded no evidence, police say

Moore, of Wichita, initially pleaded not guilty to the unlawful tampering with electronic monitoring equipment charge but changed his plea to guilty Monday, the same day his jury trial over the allegations was scheduled to begin, according to Sedgwick County District Court records and Dan Dillon, spokesman for the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office.

Moore stood accused of removing his GPS ankle bracelet at approximately 4:45 a.m. June 9 before traveling to Texas with infant Vincent and his 2-year-old son. A woman living with him at the time later found the device tucked into a couch, according to an affidavit released by the court last year.

The district attorney’s office will recommend Moore serve 34 months in prison when he is sentenced, Dillon said. A judge will decide whether Moore serves the term concurrently with or consecutively to the jail sentence he is serving now, he said.

We have not received any new information, and the search is still ongoing to try to find him.

Wichita Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Nikki Woodrow on missing baby Vincent Moore

Moore first admitted to removing the device as part of a string of probation violation allegations brought before District Judge David Dahl in August. The admissions prompted Dahl to order Moore serve the 12-month underlying jail sentence imposed in connection with a 2014 battery against Vincent’s mother; he had been granted probation following his conviction in that case.

Moore was arrested by sheriff’s deputies during a traffic stop in Wichita on July 29 after Vincent’s mother contacted authorities with concerns over her son’s whereabouts. She last saw him was on June 5 when she dropped the baby off with Moore.

The baby was last seen being taken by his father from a house near Hydraulic and 31st Street South early on July 11, Wichita police have said. Moore has claimed he returned the baby to his mother that morning.

Wichita police Sgt. Nikki Woodrow said Monday the investigation into Vincent’s whereabouts remains open.

“We have not received any new information, and the search is still ongoing to try to find him,” Woodrow said, adding:

“Nobody has been arrested, and baby Vincent has not been located.”

Anyone with information about the baby can call the Wichita Police Department’s Investigations Division at 316-268-4407 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Anyone with information about the baby can call the Wichita Police Department’s Investigations Division at 316-268-4407 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Anonymous tips can be submitted 24 hours a day by calling Wichita Sedgwick County Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111; by texting TIP217 and a message to 274637 (CRIMES); or at www.wichitasedgwickcountycrimestoppers.com.

Anonymous tips can be submitted 24 hours a day to Wichita Sedgwick County Crime Stoppers by calling 316-267-2111; by texting TIP217 and a message to 274637 (CRIMES); or at www.wichitasedgwickcountycrimestoppers.com.

Although police have said publicly that the search for Vincent is ongoing, a local social-justice advocate has said the boy’s family was informed by authorities last fall that they think he is dead.

Several of Vincent’s relatives, meanwhile, have criticized the search efforts.

Vincent was 4 months old when he was reported missing. He would be 14 months old now.

Amy Renee Leiker: 316-268-6644, @amyreneeleiker

  Comments