Crime & Courts

Wichita homicide suspect arrested at Greyhound bus stop near Oklahoma interstate

Robert G. Hill
Robert G. Hill Kansas Department of Corrections

The man wanted by Wichita police in connection to a weekend homicide was arrested Monday afternoon at an Oklahoma bus stop.

Robert G. Hill, 34, was booked into the Noble County Jail by Perry, Okla., police at 4:22 p.m. on outstanding warrants out of Sedgwick County, a jail control room employee said.

Hill was wanted by Wichita police in connection to a 2 a.m. Saturday shooting that killed 23-year-old Patrick Ball-Morse.

Wichita police Officer Paul Cruz said investigators received information that Hill was on his way to Dallas, and police contacted the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

The Highway Patrol told Perry police that Hill was on a southbound Greyhound bus on I-35 about 40 miles north of Perry, police Chief Brian Thomas said. Perry is about 64 miles north of Oklahoma City.

Perry police went to the bus stop, looking for a man with a pitchfork tattoo on his neck. No man fitting Hill's description came off the bus, Thomas said.

Officers went on the bus, and found a man fitting Hill's description sitting toward the back. Thomas said the man gave officers a false name and also checked onto the Greyhound bus under a false name, but later told police that he was Hill.

Brandy Lee Royer Courtesy Photo Kansas Department of Corrections

Hill was arrested on outstanding Kansas warrants for failure to report to his probation officer, as was a woman he was traveling with, Thomas said. That woman, Brandy Lee Royer, also gave police a false name, police said. Hill and Royer are both listed as absconders in Kansas Department of Corrections records.

Authorities are working to extradite Hill to Kansas, but Royer will be staying in Oklahoma, Thomas said. She faces felony charges after police said she brought drugs into the county jail. Thomas said methamphetamine, morphine, Oxycontin and other drugs were found in Royer's bra.

Wichita police had said Hill should be considered armed and dangerous. Perry police said they found no weapons on Hill or in his bags.

Hill was the suspect in a shooting at an apartment in the 800 block of West 26th Street, near Pawnee and McLean. Police said officers found Ball-Morse with a gunshot wound to his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Patrick Ball-Morse Courtesy Photo Kansas Department of Corrections

Ball-Morse was moving from the apartment with his 25-year-old girlfriend when the woman got into an argument with her 34-year-old brother, Wichita police Lt. Todd Ojile said. Police said they think Ball-Morse tried to stop the argument before he was shot.

Hill was identified by police as the woman's brother.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle