Crime & Courts

Three fatal shootings in 3 hours this weekend. Here's an update from Wichita police

File photo

Three people were shot and killed in three unrelated overnight shootings in Wichita this weekend. The shootings all occurred within three hours of each other on Saturday.

Here's what the Wichita Police Department released Monday on the fatal shootings, which make up the city's 25th through 27th homicides of 2018.

Man kills cousin when showing off firearms

In the first shooting, Wichita police were called to Via Christi St. Joseph Hospital at about 12:30 a.m. after a man walked in with a gunshot wound to his arm and abdomen, according to a Saturday news release.

Anthony Martinez, 24, had been out in the backyard with about 5 people when his 27-year-old cousin brought out a bag of firearms, police Lt. Todd Ojile said on Monday. The cousin took one of the guns out when it discharged and hit Martinez in his abdomen.

Martinez was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The cousin was booked into jail on suspicion of one count of involuntary manslaughter. The firearms were recovered by police.

Man found dead in his vehicle

About an hour and a half later at about 2 a.m., officers were called to a shooting at a home in the 1500 block of south Water, near Harry and Broadway. When officers arrived, they found 29-year-old Michael Maxwell dead inside of his vehicle that was parked on the street.

He had multiple gunshot wounds.

Through an investigation, police found that a person inside an SUV fired several rounds at Maxwell and the vehicle he was in before fleeing southbound on Walter.

Ojile said police think it was a "targeted shooting." He said Maxwell had been in Old Town earlier that night and had been involved in an altercation.

Police do not yet know if this was a gang-related incident. Ojile said officers have had "very, very limited cooperation with witnesses."

If you have any information regarding the shooting, call the homicide section at 316-268-4407 or Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111.

Boyfriend killed by girlfriend's brother

Also at about 2 a.m., police were called to a shooting at an apartment in the 800 block of West 26th Street, near Pawnee and McLean. When officers arrived, they found 23-year-old Patrick Ball-Morse with a gunshot wound to his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Monday, Ojile said that Ball-Morse was moving from the apartment with his 25-year-old girlfriend. While moving, his girlfriend and her 34-year-old brother got into an argument, he said.

Police think that Ball-Morse tried to stop the argument before he was shot, Ojile said.

The brother, Robert G. Hill, fled and has not yet been found by police. He has outstanding warrants and should be considered armed and dangerous.

If you have any information on Hill, call the homicide section at 316-268-4407 or Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111. This was Wichita's 27th homicide in 2018.

Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay discusses efforts being made to prevent violent crime as this weekend's homicides top last year's. (Dec. 4, 2017)