Boy choking on chicken nugget saved by Maize school nurse and para

A Maize elementary school nurse and para have been called heroes for saving a student who was choking on a chicken nugget during lunch, district officials said.

Nurse Stephany McClellan and para Glen Shafer at Maize South Elementary School were recognized by the Maize Board of Education earlier this month for saving the life of fourth-grade student Keegan Dalton, the school district said in a statement.

“In January, Keegan was choking on a chicken nugget during lunch and could not breathe,” school officials said. “His heroes took turns administering the Heimlich maneuver until they successfully dislodged the nugget, allowing Keegan to breathe.”

McClellan and Shafer were recognized at the April 8 USD 266 school board meeting.

“Maize South Elementary School Principal Meg Thimmesch told board members that several other people helped, including a classmate who went to get water, students who remained calm, and an employee who called 911,” the statement said. “Keegan’s mother Kristina Dalton, a Maize substitute teacher who was working in the school that day, was present at the board meeting to celebrate the happy ending of a critical situation.”

Related stories from Wichita Eagle