Crime & Courts

Police arrest man sought in coach assault at youth practice in Linwood Park

The football field at Linwood Park. (Sept. 9, 2014)
The football field at Linwood Park. (Sept. 9, 2014) File photo

A hunt spanning nearly two months for the man suspected of using brass knuckles in an attack on a youth football coach at Linwood Park ended late last week at a Wichita house, police said.

Bobby Brown Jr., 31, was spotted by police officers at about 4:45 p.m. Thursday in the driveway of a house near 13th and Hillside, Lt. James Espinoza said. When the officers stopped, Brown took off running.

He was eventually apprehended, after a foot chase, in a house in the 1400 block of North Lorraine, Espinoza said.

Brown was booked into jail on suspicion of numerous offenses, including aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He was charged on Friday with aggravated battery and is being held on a $120,000 bond.

His preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Nov. 13.

Police had been looking for Brown since shortly after a youth football league coach was attacked Sept. 8 at a practice in Linwood Park.

The Wichita Tigers, who are part of the Greater Wichita Junior Football League, were practicing when the mother of a former player confronted the coach over her son not being allowed to play for a rival team in the season opener the previous Saturday, officials have said.

The woman left after an argument with the coach and police were called. The officers left after talking to witnesses and making a report. A group of men showed up at the park about 20 minutes later and asked who the coach was that had talked with the woman.

They confronted the coach, police have said, and one of them lifted his shirt to display a handgun tucked into the waistband of his pants. Others then began to beat the coach, and Brown is believed to have used brass knuckles in the attack.

The assault prompted the coach’s wife to pull a gun out of her purse and fire it into the air. That halted the attack and the coach ran to his car and retrieved a second gun, which he then pointed at various people gathered at the park.

The attackers fled before police arrived.

The arrest of Brown is the only one planned at the moment in connection with the assault, Espinoza said Monday. Several people were banned from youth league football activities for their roles in the incident.

The coach and his wife both had concealed-carry permits for their weapons, police have said. The guns were confiscated at the time of the incident because they were considered evidence in the case.

Police officials on Monday said they did not know if the weapons had been returned to the coach and his wife yet.

The 37-year-old coach ultimately resigned from the Tigers for safety reasons, league officials have said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle