Wichita man ordered to serve at least 100 years in prison for sexually abusing girls
A Sedgwick County judge’s sentencing ruling last week will put a Wichita man in prison for the rest of his natural life for repeatedly sexually abusing two girls, starting when one was seven years old.
The four life sentences District Judge Jeffrey Syrios imposed for Noe Reyes-Carrera’s crimes each carry parole eligibility after 25 years. But because the sentences must be served back-to-back, the earliest he could be released is in 100 years, longer than a typical person’s life expectancy. He is 34 years old now.
Syrios sentenced Reyes-Carrera on Oct. 19 — less than two months after a jury found him guilty on Sept. 1 of one count of rape and three counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child, according to a news release from the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office.
The victims were 14 and 11 years old when Reyes-Carrera’s crimes were reported to Wichita police in May 2020, court records say. The Eagle is not disclosing the girls’ relationship to Reyes-Carrera to protect their identities.
According to Reyes-Carrera’s arrest affidavit:
The older girl told police Reyes-Carrera would lie down beside her and molest her when her family wasn’t around or home — and told her at least once that “he would get mad” if she disclosed the abuse to anyone.
She told a therapist Reyes-Carrera “was inappropriate with her at least once a week, and she does not remember a time that it was not happening.”
After the older girl told Reyes-Carrera to stop abusing her, he preyed on her sister in the same way.
The girls’ mother told authorities when she confronted Reyes-Carrera about the abuse, he initially denied it but later admitted that he “had touched them (the girls) when he was high on cocaine and drunk.”