Crime & Courts

Man charged with rape, sexual battery of girls at downtown Wichita YMCA’s pool area

A man has been charged with sexually assaulting three teenage girls in the pool area of the downtown Wichita YMCA last week.

Keith E. Magoon, 31, was charged Monday with one count of rape and four counts of aggravated sexual battery in Sedgwick County District Court. His bond was set at $150,000. His next court appearance was scheduled for May 30, and he will be appointed a public defender.

Magoon was arrested by Wichita police after they were called at around 8:20 p.m. Wednesday to a reported sexual assault at the downtown YMCA, 402 N. Market.

Police have said that two 16-year-old girls and a 17-year-old girl reported being sexually assaulted in the area of the indoor pool. The girls did not know the suspect, police said.

The YMCA said in a statement that none of the girls nor Magoon is a member, and they were granted access to the facility through agreements with other agencies. Magoon has since been banned from all Greater Wichita Y properties.

Magoon described himself as homeless and unemployed in court documents.

“The pool area was staffed and assigned lifeguards were present and engaged in their duties and did not see any signs of distress,” said Ronn McMahon, president of the Greater Wichita YMCA, in a statement. “We have provided security camera footage to the police department and will continue to assist authorities with this active investigation in any way we can.”

The YMCA declined to provide additional information to the media. It said in a statement last week that YMCA leaders were “heartbroken and are working closely with the police to determine what happened. The safety of our members and guests is our priority and over the last year the YMCA instituted numerous additional safety procedures.”

A former YMCA worker was sentenced to 27 1/2 years in prison last month after he pleaded no contest to two counts of rape in connection with the molestation of two young girls in the downtown Y’s Kid Zone daycare.

Shortly after the employee, Caleb Gaston, was arrested, McMahon promised to evaluate the company’s “extensive safety measures and seek out opportunities to further advance child safety.”

McMahon announced the company would change company policies and practices to prevent sexual abuse at its Wichita locations. He said 100 security cameras would be added and efforts would be made to increase visibility.

Contributing: Chance Swaim of The Eagle

Related stories from Wichita Eagle