Create a soothing bedroom
To create a soothing bedroom, start with the essentials: a well-made bed, nightstands with simple lamps and a basic dresser with a beautiful decorative mirror above. Follow these tips:
▪ Remove excessive pieces and keep only those you love, using them for inspiration.
▪ Select neutral bedding. Add color and texture through artwork and accessories. Think about swapping out affordable toss pillows seasonally.
▪ Invest in great sheets. One idea: cotton sateen with 400-thread count with a decorative border pattern that looks beautiful when folded back.
▪ Place fresh lavender in tiny cheesecloth pouches throughout the bedroom.
Orchid show this weekend
You can see competition orchids and orchid arrangements as well as buy your own orchids and supplies this weekend as the Kansas Orchid Society has its fall show and sale at Botanica. The show will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free.
Early Sunday morning is when we move our clocks back an hour and return to standard time. While we often are reminded to change the batteries in smoke detectors at these time changes twice a year, the Maids cleaning service adds often-ignored tasks that contribute to better air quality in the house, including:
▪ Flip and vacuum mattresses.
▪ Vacuum vents and registers.
▪ Wash or replace shower curtains and liners.
▪ Wash light fixtures and dust ceiling fans.