If you're a foodie in Kansas, the place to be is Lawrence — at least according to a survey put out this week by the Kansas Restaurant & Hospitality Association.
The online survey, now in its third year, asked 1,000 people across the state to name their favorite Kansas-based restaurant.
Though the list has changed from last year, it still includes several of the same restaurants — and Lawrence is still in the lead.
The state's favorite restaurant, according to the survey, is Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que, the famous gas station-turned-restaurant in Kansas City. Last year, Joe's was No. 2. And last year's No. 1 restaurant was demoted this year to No. 2: Free State Brewing Company, the popular brew pub on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence.
Wichita's top-rated restaurant on the survey was Spangles, the locally founded burger chain, which came in at No. 5. Doo-Dah Diner checked in at No. 10. Bite Me BBQ landed at No. 13. And Freddy's just made the survey at No. 20. Stroud's made the list at No. 8 but shares the spot with the Stroud's in Kansas City.
Wichita restaurant Taco Shop, which made the list last year, fell off this year.
Here's the entire 2018 list. What do you think of the results?
1. Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que, Kansas City
2. Free State Brewing Company, Lawrence
3. The Burger Stand Topeka, Lawrence
4. Jack Stack Barbeque, Kansas City
5. Spangles, Wichita
6. Blue Moose, Kansas City/Lawrence/Manhattan/Topeka
7. Zen Zero, Lawrence
8. Stroud’s Wichita/Kansas City
9. 715 Restaurant, Lawrence
10. Doo-Dah Diner, Wichita
11. Carriage Crossing, Yoder
12. Bite Me BBQ, Wichita
13. WheatFields Bakery, Lawrence
14. The Cozy Inn, Salina
15. Bon Bon! Lawrence
16. Anchor Inn Restaurant, Hutchinson
17. Johnny's Tavern, Lawrence/Kansas City
18. Merchants Pub & Plate, Lawrence
19. Paulo & Bill Restaurant, Kansas City
20. Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, Wichita