Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said Friday a lack of corroborating evidence resulted in no charges being filed against Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle in connection with an incident earlier this year in downtown Wichita.
Randle, a Wichita Southeast graduate, was involved in a dispute with the mother of his child last February at a downtown Wichita hotel. At the time, the woman said Randle brandished a gun during the argument and broke out a window of her car.
Bennett said Friday that after law enforcement agencies concluded their investigations, there was not sufficient evidence to prove the existence of a deadly weapon – “the key determining factor” in filing aggravated assault charges, a felony.
“For there to be basis for a charge, you have to have a certain probable cause to believe a crime was committed, and ultimately we’d have to have proof beyond a reasonable doubt … that the crime was committed, and that simply did not exist in this case,” Bennett said.
Never miss a local story.
“For charges of this magnitude to be filed, you need to have corroborative evidence that can be admissible in court, and that simply didn’t exist.”
Bennett said surveillance tape from the hotel was from too great a distance to be conclusive.
“A tape by itself is not going to answer the question – that’s why additional information had to be sought,” he said. “All the witnesses had to be interviewed.
“Ultimately the decision was very clear that there was insufficient evidence to prove the existence of a deadly weapon. No deadly weapon was ever found, I can tell you that.”
Randle has played two seasons for the Cowboys after a collegiate career at Oklahoma State University. He was arrested early on the morning of Feb. 3 and given a notice to appear in Wichita Municipal Court after a small amount of marijuana was found in his room at the Hotel at WaterWalk at 711 S. Main. The charge was later dropped as police investigated allegations that could have resulted in felony charges against Randle.
The City Attorney’s office announced Friday that Randle will not face municipal court charges in connection with the incident.
“The City Attorney's office has completed its review of the evidence and circumstances involved in the Joseph Randle case, and has determined that no charges will be filed,” said a statement released Friday by the city.