Dozens of Fairmount Towers South residents returned to their rooms Thursday after a student was found dead of an apparent overdose on the same floor of their Wichita State University dormitory.
The 29-year-old student was found unresponsive in his room at about 11 p.m. Wednesday by a resident assistant, according to a statement released by the university. The RA went into the room to investigate an odor, according to a Wichita Police Department incident report.
Foul play is not suspected, authorities said. A police document called the incident an “apparent overdose.” The body was released to the coroner for an autopsy.
A total of 39 students were allowed to leave their rooms on the floor where the body was found, WSU spokesman Joe Kleinsasser said. Ten went to stay with friends or family members, while 29 were relocated to rooms on other floors.
Never miss a local story.
Students were notified at 6 a.m. that they could return to their rooms, Kleinsasser said. It’s the first death in a WSU dormitory in at least five years, university officials said.
Counseling staff were made available to meet with students on campus.