Local

Man found dead near Pawnee, I-135

Police say a man who was found dead Tuesday morning shortly before 8 a.m. under I-135 appears to have died from natural causes.

The 53-year-old Native-American man was homeless and had been staying under the Canal Route north of Pawnee off and on for the past few years, said Tracey Lopp, a homeless friend who had been staying there as well.

There is no indication of foul play, Sgt. Brian Sigman said at the scene. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

“We’ve got two blankets,” Lopp said. “I was under one, he was under one.”

For some reason, Lopp said, his friend moved away from him during the night.

“I don’t know what he was doing,” he said.

When Lopp awoke Tuesday morning shortly before 8 a.m., his friend was dead. He had been homeless off and on over the past few years, Lopp said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

This story was originally published July 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM with the headline "Man found dead near Pawnee, I-135."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER