The Better Business Bureau is alerting consumers about the door-to-door home security sales that are happening now in Kansas.
Although no alarm system can make your home completely burglar-proof, a home security system may reduce your chances of being burglarized. Investigate the purchase of a home security system with the same care you would any major purchase.
The best home security system should accommodate your lifestyle and specific valuables you want protected. You should carefully consider your security requirements and budget. It is wise to call a professional installer to find out what kind of system is best for your needs. You may also get recommendations from the insurance company that covers your home.
Some companies use high-pressure sales tactics to sell alarm systems. Don't let anyone talk you into purchasing something you do not want or need. Be aware of the 3-Day Cooling Off Rule, which is federal law and gives the buyer in door-to-door sales the right to cancel and receive a full refund within three business days.
The BBB offers these tips for checking out a home security system company:
* Many communities require licensing to sell door to door and to install the equipment. Make sure the company you are dealing with is legally licensed.
* Be aware of unethical sales tactics used such as, "The crime rate is up in your area ...," or, "We are here to upgrade your system," when they are actually a different company from the one you are currently using.
* Find out who will monitor your system and where it will be monitored.
* Have the technician walk you through the system to ask how it will work and where the monitors will be located.
* Make sure you understand your contract. What is the length of the contract? When can you cancel? Will there be any additional charges or monthly fees?
* Call the BBB to check out the company: 800-856-2417 or www.kansasplains.bbb.org