Police: Homeowner fatally wounds intruder near 21st, Grove

02/03/2014 7:29 AM

08/06/2014 9:42 AM

A homeowner fatally wounded an intruder who attacked him inside his house early Monday morning, police said.

The 35-year-old man was awakened at about 3:45 a.m. Monday by noise inside his house at 2326 N. Poplar, Lt. Todd Ojile said. That’s just northeast of 21st and Grove in north Wichita.

When he went to investigate, he was attacked by the intruder and they fought for a short period, Ojile said. The resident was able to get a gun and fire several shots, gravely wounding the intruder.

When officers arrived at the house, they found the resident sitting outside on the curb, Ojile said. He told them he had shot someone and that person was still in the house.

The officers went into the house and found “signs of disturbance,” Ojile said.

They also found a 45-year-old man. He was taken to Wesley Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 4:18 a.m.

“There’s no sign at this point that he was armed,” Ojile said of the shooting victim, whose name is being withheld pending notification of relatives.

The resident told police no words were exchanged when he came face-to-face with his intruder, who attacked immediately. After a short scuffle, the resident fired several shots at the intruder.

There’s no indication the two men knew each other, Ojile said. Police are still questioning the resident.

The Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office will determine any charges that may be filed in the case.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service