Editor's note: Deadline has been extended to midnight Sept. 29.
The holiday season is fast approaching. It’s time to enter the 59th Wichita Eagle Holiday Cookbook contest.
We’re turning the heat up this year with a great secret ingredient that will get your appetite sizzling. November will see this annual cookbook offering outstanding recipes as well as the chance for cooks to win a little extra holiday money.
Categories in the cookbook contest this year are:• Appetizers
• Main course
• Sides (vegetables and starch dishes)
• Secret ingredient – This year’s secret ingredient is bacon. From bacon flavored ice cream to fried bacon on a stick, Americans can’t get enough of this bit of pork nirvana.
• Gluten-free – Just because you don’t want to have wheat, barley, rye and triticale in your diet doesn’t mean you have to give up great food such as bread, pizza and so much more. Eating gluten-free has become easier than ever, and we want your favorite recipes.
Once we’ve selected the top recipes in each category, a panel of judges will choose the winners. Those top three – plus other qualifying recipes – will be printed in the Holiday Cookbook published in November.
Recipes will be judged on taste, appearance, clarity of cooking directions and creativity. The first-place winners in each category will receive a $100 gift card, and the second- and third-place winners will each receive a $50 gift card.
Each contestant may enter only one recipe per category. Only Kansas residents are eligible to win. Eagle employees and their families are not eligible.
At the top of each page, include the following information in this order:
1. Category in which recipe is to be judged
2. Name of sender
3. Address, including ZIP code
4. Daytime phone number (or best number to reach you)
5. Title of recipe
6. List all ingredients, followed by directions in standard recipe form.
7. Short, personal comments about the recipe’s origin or any other detail you care to share.
We’re looking for originality and creativity. Do not submit recipes directly from a website or cookbook without changing at least three ingredients.
You may submit entries by e-mail or mail, but they must be typed, not handwritten or scanned in.
All recipes must be e-mailed or postmarked by midnight Sept. 22.
Mail entries to: Holiday Cookbook Contest, The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202; or e-mail entries to email@example.com.
Questions? Contact Ardua Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.