Varsity Soccer

Kapaun and Carroll soccer battle to 1-1 tie

Bishop Carroll 1, Kapaun Mt. Carmel 1

Bishop Carroll and Kapaun Mt. Carmel battle to a 1-1 draw in front of a raucous crowd Friday night.
Up Next
Bishop Carroll and Kapaun Mt. Carmel battle to a 1-1 draw in front of a raucous crowd Friday night.

It would be easy to think you stumbled across a football game at Bishop Carroll.

Friday night? Check.

Weather? Cool and rainy.

Crowd? A packed parking lot and two student sections that packed their designated rows to the brim.

And it didn’t hurt that after 100 minutes of play, both sides were beat up and wore out from a physical 1-1 tie between Kapaun Mount Carmel and Bishop Carroll.

An early goal from the Crusaders and one in the final minutes of the first half by the Golden Eagles was the only scoring in the City League opener for both teams.

“It was an amazing crowd,” Carroll coach Mike Skaggs said. “Both our football teams played last night, so I guess all our students decided this was a nice way to spend their Friday night. You could tell Kapaun really fed off their crowd, and we definitely did too.”

Kapaun seemed content to counter attack early, and it paid off seven minutes in. The guests drew a corner off a longball, and Ryan McCully nodded home the restart from Kevin Black to make it 1-0.

Carroll methodically kept going at the Crusaders though, creating a few chances but not getting off dangerous shots for much of the first half.

They held Kapaun without another shot for over 27 minutes though, while piling up five shots of their own and making Kapaun keeper JD Mash work.

A blast from Skylar Stuckey erased the shutout with 3:28 left in the first half, as the senior received a pass, took one touch to the left and uncorked a low shot past a diving Mash to tie it up.

That was the end of the scoring, despite 63 more minutes to be played, but it wasn’t the end of the action. A slow paced second half opened up late, as both teams had numerous chances in the final 15 minutes. The closest was when the Eagles were awarded a penalty kick with just 16 seconds left on the clock, but Mash smothered a ball that got halfway over the line to send it into overtime.

In the extra session, Kapaun got a ball on-goal off a Alex Zachgo header, but were whistled offside before the follow-up shot. Carroll got even closer to the game-winner, but Carson Lee’s strike from 30 yards out found the post.