▪ Howdy, everyone. I start today’s musings with a “howdy” because of Garth Brooks, who started out today selling tickets for two concerts in Wichita come December and ended up selling tickets for six. It must be nice to have that kind of star power. I hate to inform you that I am not among those who bought tickets to see Garth, although I have nothing against him. I wish him the best, as if he needs me to wish him the best. He’s doing six shows in a mid-size city like Wichita. I think he’s figured out how to do “the best” a long time ago.
▪ Anybody else having Daniel Murphy withdrawals? What an incredible postseason performance by the New York Mets second baseman so far, huh? Home runs in six straight games including blasts against Clayton Kershaw (twice), Zack Greinke and Jake Arrieta? Who does this guy think he is? I can’t wait to see him stride to the late Tuesday night for Game 1 of the World Series.
▪ The only question that remains is where the plate he strides to will be located. Kansas City or Toronto?
▪ The Royals and Blue Jays play Game 6 of the ALCS tonight at Kauffman Stadium with young Yordano Ventura (Royals) opposing lefty David Price (Blue Jays). I’m not sure how Royals fans are feeling about this one. It would make me uneasy, but every postseason game makes me uneasy. The Royals can wrap the series up with a win tonight. If Toronto wins, the series goes to a Game 7 on Saturday night in Kansas City.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Wichita Eagle
▪ It feels like this thing is going to end tonight. Right? If not, what the heck am I feeling? Then again, Price is due to win one of these postseason games — he’s 0-7 in postseason starts. Given that Wright is 104-56 in the regular season, something is really off. It’s a little hard to imagine Wright falling to 0-8 in the postseason. He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball.
▪ Baseball makes brains hurt, doesn’t it? It’s hard to just relax and watch a postseason game if you’re a fan of one of the teams. So many scenarios go through your mind. The Royals are in good shape, up 3-2 and at home for Game 6 and potentially Game 7. Yet it doesn’t feel like they’re in that good of shape, does it? It feels tense and uneasy.
▪ I’m just a bullet point removed from predicting the series ends tonight with a Royals win. But now it feels like Toronto extends this thing to Game 7 on Saturday. I guess they’ll just have to play the game and decide this.
▪ Game 7 = Johnny Cueto for Kansas City. That cannot be a good feeling.
▪ Fargo is such a different, offbeat, strange television show. Just like the movie. I love it. Do you love it? How about Ted Danson and Brad Garrett in the second season? It’s great.
▪ On another television note, I’m not sure I’m going ahead with The Walking Dead and whatever season this is. I started watching the debut episode the other night and stopped about 10 minutes in. I’ve invested a lot in this show, watched every episode. But I think it might have jumped the shark with me unless my loyal blog readers can convince me otherwise. Does this season get better after the first 10 minutes of the first episode? Where are we going with this? I also stopped watching Fear the Walking Dead after one episode. I may have come to the end of my zombie infatuation.
▪ I spent 30 minutes the other day looking at all the NBA’s new-uniform designs on ESPN.com. That must mean I’m excited about the upcoming season. And I guess I am, although I’m more excited about the beginning of college basketball season.
▪ Kansas State plays at Texas on Saturday morning and the Wildcats are coming off a 55-0 defeat at the hands of Oklahoma, the same OU team the Longhorns handled a couple of weeks ago. What do you expect from K-State? The Wildcats have a history of performing well against Texas, especially in Austin. I’m just not sure KSU has enough working parts to stay close. Can you just regroup from a 55-point loss in one week? I suppose if any team can, it’s one coached by Bill Snyder. I’m skeptical, though. I sense a 27-13 Texas win.
▪ Isn’t autumn nice? My favorite season, I’ve decided. But I’ll probably change my mind when spring approaches.
▪ I put a karaoke app on my phone last week. I’m not proud.
▪ The best high school football district in Kansas is Class 6A-8, which includes Northwest, Dodge City, Garden City and Hutchinson. Those teams have a combined record of 23-5 going into play Friday night. Impressive. The worst district is 5A-2, which includes four teams from Topeka: Seaman, Shawnee Heights, Highland Park and West. They have a combined record of 3-25, yet two of those teams are guaranteed a spot in the state playoffs. Completely ridiculous.
▪ OK, it just struck me. Royals win tonight, 4-3.
▪ Garth Brooks sold 60,000 tickets in one hour? What other recording artist would do that in Wichita? Would the Beatles? Elvis? Sinatra? Michael Jackson?
▪ I’m not a Royals fan and probably never will be. But I respect them and appreciate them and get why their fan base is growing so rapidly. It’s an easy team to like. Their players carry themselves well. It’s one reason Cueto doesn’t fit with the Royals — he’s not classy enough. And I don’t think Royals fans could ever truly embrace him, as much as they appreciated his Game 5 performance against Houston in the ALDS.
▪ Thanks for reading, everyone. As always, have a wonderful weekend. And Royals fans, I hope you get to celebrate.