Wichita State’s men’s basketball schedule is close to complete with many of the major pieces in place.
Here is what is set:
Nov. 11 — South Carolina State
Nov. 16 — Tulsa
Nov. 23-25 — Battle 4 Atlantis (Michigan State, Louisville, Baylor, LSU, VCU, Saint John’s, Old Dominion)
Dec. 3 — at Colorado State
Dec. 10 — Oklahoma at Oklahoma City
Dec. 17 — Oklahoma State at Intrust Bank Arena
Dec. 22 — South Dakota State
▪ Saint Louis, in its first season under coach Travis Ford, will play at Koch Arena. The date is not set.
▪ As ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported, Long Beach State is likely on WSU’s schedule. That contract is not final. Should the game happen, it will be part of the Battle 4 Atlantis and take place in Koch Arena as a guarantee game.
▪ In past years, Battle 4 Atlantis released its bracket in early August.
▪ Playing Oklahoma State at Intrust Bank Arena should guarantee a third consecutive sellout in the downtown arena, which seats 15,004. The game should attract attention for many reasons, one of them the fact it’s a homecoming game for new OSU coach Brad Underwood. He is a McPherson native who played and coached at Kansas State.
The game also highlights the oddity that the Shockers will play teams coached by two former Wildcats (OSU and Oklahoma with Lon Kruger), but not Kansas State. In his first season, Underwood is free to schedule however he sees fit and his connection to Kansas probably doesn’t hurt. Kruger, with his longevity and success, also has no restrictions.
Kansas State’s Bruce Weber, 32-33 the past two seasons, is in a much different spot and no doubt sees no upside in playing the Shockers.
▪ WSU’s women’s basketball team’s schedule in the Cancun Challenge went public on Monday.
The Shockers will play Purdue (Nov. 24), Stanford (Nov. 25) and Northeastern (Nov. 26). Stanford and Purdue played in the NCAA Tournament last season, with the Cardinal advancing to the Elite Eight.
WSU plays downtown
2015 — WSU 67, Utah 50 (15,004 attendance)
2014 — WSU 81, Saint Louis 52 (15,004)
2013 — WSU 70, Tennessee 61 (14,356)
2012 — WSU 59, Southern Miss 51 (9,619)
2011 — WSU 68, UAB 46 (11,204)
2010 — WSU 82, Tulsa 79 (14,112)