With college basketball season in a relative deadspot, Today’s U decided it was time to play the rankings game. It selected the top five backcourts in the country for the 2015-16 season, and Wichita State’s Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Conner Frankamp ranked fifth, above Kansas but below Iowa State.
The site describes VanVleet and Baker leveling off for their junior years but acknowledges that Baker’s time with Team USA could be a boost this season, and that Frankamp could be the team’s best scorer next year.
The site ranks North Carolina in the top spot because it believes Marcus Paige will dominate after returning from injury. Iowa State gets the nod at third place because of the spectacular turnover-to-assist ratio of Monte Morris. And of course Kentucky was ranked second because, well – recruiting.
Top 5 backcourts
The top 5 backcourts, according to Today’s U:
5. Wichita State: Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Conner Frankamp
4. Villanova: Josh Hart, Ryan Arcidiacono, Phil Booth, Jaylen Brunson
3. Iowa State: Monte Morris, Naz Long, Hallice Cooke, Matt Thomas
2. Kentucky: Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, Mychal Mulder, Dominique Hawkins, Jamal Murray
1. North Carolina: Marcus Paige, Nate Britt, Joel Berry, Kenny Williams