The series: 5:30 tonight; 1 p.m, Saturday; noon, Sunday
Probable rotations: WSU: RH Jordan Cooper (4-1, 2.15); RH Tim Kelley (5-1, 4.25); LH Josh Smith (3-2, 4.54). ISU: RH Jacob Petricka (4-4, 4.35); LH Joe Rodriguez (3-1, 4.91); RH Jason Van Skike (3-0, 4.15)
* Coach Rick Heller came to Indiana State in August after Northern Iowa dropped its program. Heller coached at UNI for 10 seasons and briefly served as an assistant at Creighton before taking over the Sycamores. He brought OF Levi Ferguson and 2B Grant Grgurich from Northern Iowa. WSU LF Travis Bennett also played for Heller at UNI in 2009. "He's an all-around good guy," Bennett said. "At first, you kind of feel you have to play against him, and beat him, but that's baseball and I'm sure he feels that same way. He wants to go out there and win just like I do."
* The teams split four games last season, with WSU winning in the MVC Tournament after losing the season series 2-1 at Eck Stadium. Kelley struck out 11 in a 2-0 win in the regular-season opener.
* The Sycamores lead the Valley with a .321 batting average and a 4.61 ERA. Their 13 home runs are tied for the fewest in the MVC, but their 166 strikeouts also rank last. Indiana State has stolen 63 bases in 74 attempts.
* Indiana State has won three straight and four out of five games. Last weekend, Indiana State won two of three games at The Citadel, a team ranked in the RPI top 25.
* 3B Luke Fieser leads the Sycamores with a .385 batting average and a .443 on-base percentage. CF Ryan Strausborger is hitting .367 and leads the team with 13 doubles, seven triples and 23 steals. His 23 steals are one more than either Southern Illinois or Creighton have this season.
* WSU is 5-9 on the road, hitting .241 with a 7.96 ERA.