Prosecutors drop rape case for ex-Jayhawk Arterio Morris, citing ‘insufficient evidence’
Douglas County prosecutors on Tuesday dropped a rape case brought against former Kansas basketball guard Arterio Morris, citing insufficient evidence.
Deputy district attorney Joshua Seiden filed a motion Tuesday in Douglas County District Court, seeking dismissal of the felony case without prejudice. A hearing set for Wednesday was canceled as the court docket listed the case as dismissed, according to online records.
“We dismissed the case because we do not intend to proceed with it,” said Cheryl Cadue, Douglas County public information officer.
The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office declined further comment on the decision.
When a case is dismissed without prejudice, prosecutors can refile charges in the future — within the statute of limitations — if they so choose. There is no statute of limitations for a rape charge in Kansas.
According to Morris’ lawyer, Hatem Chahine, a Title IX case against Morris has been dismissed as well.
“I’m very pleased with the outcome — I’ve worked very hard on this case from the Title IX issues at KU, where the administrative hearing was dismissed, and now the criminal case is dismissed,” Chahine told The Star. “I’m hoping that I can see Arterio back on the court in the near future. I’m hoping he will be able to enter the transfer portal and play again.”
Morris was charged with one felony count of rape of an 18-year-old woman, with the alleged incident occurring Aug. 26 in KU’s basketball dorm — McCarthy Hall.
“It’s rare that a case like this gets dismissed prior to the preliminary hearing, but I am happy with the outcome,” Chahine continued. He called the charges “a big deal” and said it took a “mountain of work” to have them dismissed.
“If you get charged with something you didn’t do, get a good lawyer,” Chahine said. “That is a very important thing.”
Morris was arrested on the charge and dismissed from the Jayhawks team in September. The Star previously reported on Sept. 15 that Morris had been suspended from the Jayhawks following a rape accusation.
After the dismissal of the case, Morris shared a post on Instagram, including a comment about what he called “waiting for justice to run its course.”
“For about two years we have stayed silent waiting for justice to run its course, but also trusting that the truth would come to light; which is that I am not guilty of the horrible allegations made against me,” Morris wrote. “It has been a path of trials, sorrow, and despair; but also one in which I was able to grow and become wiser to discern who I invite into my life. Today, I close a horrible chapter in my life and now I look into my future with hope and with more desire to be who I was destined to be. I am moving forward with God and my family by side.”
Regarding Morris’ comment of waiting for “about two years,” in addition to the rape charge from last September, the former Texas and Kansas basketball guard faced an unrelated charge following an alleged June 2022 confrontation with an ex-girlfriend in Frisco, Texas.
Morris initially received a Class A misdemeanor assault charge and was set to appear for a jury trial on October 2, 2023. But the trial was canceled on Sept. 14, when Morris entered a nolo contendere (no contest) plea to a Class C charge and was ordered to pay a fine of $362
This story was originally published April 9, 2024 at 4:38 PM with the headline "Prosecutors drop rape case for ex-Jayhawk Arterio Morris, citing ‘insufficient evidence’."