Kansas State University

K-State guard David Castillo plans to transfer after two years with the Wildcats

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • David Castillo to enter transfer portal after two seasons, averaged 10.3 ppg.
  • K-State hires Casey Alexander after a disastrous 2025-26 season with 20 losses.
  • Roster turnover expected; recruits Jaylen Alexander and Devin Hutcherson are set.

When David Castillo committed to play basketball for Kansas State as a touted high school recruit, some hoped he would spend four years with the Wildcats and mature into a dynamic point guard along the way.

He only made half the journey.

Castillo told news outlets on Thursday that he plans to enter the transfer portal and continue his college hoops career elsewhere next season. The 6-foot-1 and 180-pound sophomore from Bartlesville, Oklahoma is on the move after spending two seasons in Manhattan.

Castillo averaged 10.3 points and 1.8 assists while appearing in every game this past year. But his decision to transfer doesn’t come as a surprise, as the Wildcats are transitioning to new head coach Casey Alexander after a disastrous 2025-26 season that featured 20 losses and a 15th-place finish in the Big 12 standings.

It makes sense that Castillo wants to seek a fresh start now that the coach who recruited him, Jerome Tang, is no longer around. Still, his departure will come as a disappointment to some fans. Castillo was one of the most well-known players on the roster. And they saw him develop over two seasons at Bramlage Coliseum.

As a freshman, Castillo appeared in 32 games and made two starts. He averaged 2.4 points while averaging just 10 minutes per night, but he flashed potential at various times.

As a sophomore, Castillo made 16 starts while appearing in all 32 games. He averaged 28.1 minutes and saw his scoring jump to 10.3 points per game. He logged a career high 22 points during a loss to Bowling Green and later reached 20 points in a win over Utah.

But he slumped near the end of the season, as he failed to score more than eight points in K-State’s final nine games.

Castillo is the second outgoing transfer for K-State this spring. He joins Stephen Osei, who announced his plans to leave the Wildcats after spending one quiet season with them.

Alexander has said he expects significant turnover on the K-State basketball roster he prepares for his first season with the Wildcats. More transfers are expected after the portal officially opens on April 7.

K-State has just two players firmly lined up for the 2026-27 season at the moment. They are Jaylen Alexander and Devin Hutcherson, a pair of high school recruits who previously committed to play for Casey Alexander at Belmont.

Related Stories from Wichita Eagle
Kellis Robinett
The Wichita Eagle
Kellis Robinett covers Kansas State athletics for The Wichita Eagle and The Kansas City Star. A winner of more than a dozen national writing awards, he lives in Manhattan with his wife and four children.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER