Kansas State University

K-State receiver Hunter Rison suspended indefinitely after domestic battery arrest

Hunter Rison was suspended indefinitely from the Kansas State football team Saturday morning after he was arrested by Riley County Police.

Rison, a sophomore receiver for the Wildcats, was arrested under suspicion of domestic battery; knowing or reckless bodily harm to family/person in a dating relationship at 1:56 p.m. on Friday in Manhattan.

The arrest occurred on the 2200 block of College Avenue. He was not confined after posting a bond of $1,000.

K-State football coach Chris Klieman announced that Rison was suspended indefinitely from the team shortly after news of the arrest became public Saturday morning, saying he violated team and departmental policy.

“Our program will be one that is built on hard work and integrity and doing things the right way,” Klieman said in a statement. “We have extremely high expectations for our players on and off the field.”

Rison issued his own statement on social media Saturday afternoon.

“This will be my only response,” he wrote on Twitter. “I will continue to be myself ... A man of God, as well as a great student-athlete at this university. I have done nothing wrong.”

Rison emerged as a potential starter for the Wildcats in spring practice, and looked like the team’s best receiver at its spring showcase last week.

He enrolled at K-State last year after originally starting his college football career at Michigan State, where he caught 19 passes for 224 yards as a freshman. He sat out last season with a redshirt, per NCAA transfer rules, and was on track to play his first game with the Wildcats in the fall.

Klieman said Rison had “a bright, bright future here” last month, and Rison’s teammates have raved about his play this spring.

Rison’s father, Andre, is a former NFL star who played for the Chiefs from 1997-99.

Much was expected from Rison next season, but his future with the Wildcats is now in doubt.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle