Wichita Wind Surge season opener delayed by coronavirus outbreak, worries about spread
The start of the Wichita Wind Surge’s inaugural season has been blown back by increasing concerns about the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
Minor League Baseball announced Thursday afternoon that it would delay the start of its 2020 season, which for the Wind Surge means no season opener on the road April 9 and likely no home opener in their new downtown stadium April 14.
How long the season will be delayed was not announced Thursday.
The Wind Surge are the Triple-A affiliate of the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball team.
Earlier Thursday, Wind Surge owner Lou Schwechheimer told The Eagle he had not yet received word from Minor League Baseball officials about the upcoming season. But he spoke generally about his team’s mindset amid growing worry about the looming scope of the viral outbreak.
“Our philosophy always is, ‘Let’s take care of fan health, their well-being and that of the players,’” Schwechheimer said. “We’ll be excited to open the ballpark at the appropriate time, whether that’s April 14, a day later, a week later or a month later. Whatever ultimately happens, we’re team players, and we want to do what’s best for our fans and the community.”
The Wind Surge had been set to open the season, their first in Wichita since relocating from New Orleans, on April 9 in Round Rock, Texas. Their April 14 home opener was to take place against the Memphis Redbirds in Riverfront Stadium, which is nearing completion downtown.
Minor League Baseball’s statement read as follows:
“We will continue to monitor the developments and will announce additional information with the 2020 season at a later date. We will work with Major League Baseball and our community partners to resume play as soon as it is safe to do so. The health and safety of minor-league baseball fans, players and executives is our top priority, and our thoughts are with those around the world who have been affected by this outbreak.”