Opinion Columns & Blogs

Why not readjust individual income tax rates?

Brownback
Brownback AP

In defending the income tax exemption for many business owners, Gov. Sam Brownback said last weekend that only 29 percent of the cost of the 2012 tax cuts went for that exemption. The other 71 percent of the cost was the reduction in personal income taxes, he said. So if Brownback considers the business tax cut off-limits – even though many Kansans consider it unfair and it failed to produce the promised economic boost – why not go where the money is and readjust the individual rates, including adding a third, higher rate for wealthier Kansans? So far, Brownback has only proposed a backdoor income tax increase of eliminating certain itemized deductions. – Phillip Brownlee

  Comments