You Oughta Know

Find out online about compensation to violent-crime victims in Kansas

Each Monday, The Eagle highlights a government record that is available to the public. Open records help people keep government in check and help them better understand how government affects their lives.

For a complete list of You Oughta Know columns, go

The records: Annual reports from the Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Board. The board provides financial help to victims of violent crimes, including lost wages and out-of-pocket expenses related to injuries such as medical care and mental health counseling.

Why you’d want them: To learn more about how state dollars are used to compensate victims of violent crimes. The past five years of annual reports are available.

Where you get them: From the Kansas Attorney General’s website,

How much do they cost: The reports are free.

Deb Gruver