Crime & Courts

Man searched by guard at women’s clinic pleads guilty to explosives charge

Wichita

A homeless man who tried to apply for a job at a Wichita women’s clinic while carrying a homemade firecracker in his backpack pleaded guilty Monday to criminal use of explosives, a spokesman for the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office said.

The felony conviction could land 20-year-old Moises R. Trevizo Jr. in prison for up to 11 years and four months when he is sentenced June 24 before Sedgwick County District Court Judge Kevin O’Connor. If he has little or no prior criminal history, he could also be placed on probation under state sentencing guidelines.

Wichita police, at the time of his arrest, said Trevizo walked into the South Wind Women’s Center at 5107 E. Kellogg to apply for work on Aug. 17, 2015, but was halted by a clinic security guard to search his bag. Along with clothing and several knives, the guard found a roughly 3-inch-tall pill bottle with a wick or fuse poking out of it. The clinic was evacuated as a precaution.

The clinic occupies the same building where George Tiller performed abortions for years before he was murdered in 2009. Authorities quickly ruled out the chance that Trevizo might be an anti-abortion protester involved in a bomb threat.

Trevizo’s jury trial on the charge had been scheduled to start Monday. He remains in Sedgwick County Jail in lieu of bond, according to jail records.

Amy Renee Leiker: 316-268-6644, @amyreneeleiker

  Comments