Crime & Courts

Man convicted of taking dying woman’s wedding ring in drive-through

Daquantrius Johnson, shown in Feb. 2014, was convicted of aggravated burglary, robbery and misdemeanor theft.
Daquantrius Johnson, shown in Feb. 2014, was convicted of aggravated burglary, robbery and misdemeanor theft. File photo

A Sedgwick County jury on Thursday found a 20-year-old Wichita man guilty of robbing a woman of her wedding band and other items as she lay dying of a brain aneurysm in the drive-through of a Taco Bell restaurant late last year.

Daquantrius S. Johnson was convicted of aggravated burglary, robbery and misdemeanor theft late Thursday morning following three hours of deliberations, said Dan Dillon, spokesman for the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office. Johnson will face a maximum prison term of 182 months – more than 15 years – if District Judge Christopher Magana orders his sentences to run consecutively when he is sentenced Jan. 29, Dillon said.

If the judge orders sentences to run concurrently, Johnson could spend 122 to 136 months in prison, Dillon said. The term would run consecutive to the 111 months Johnson has been ordered to serve for two recent aggravated assault convictions and for violating probation, he said.

Johnson’s convictions stem from the Dec. 29, 2013, robbery of Danielle Zimmerman, a 43-year-old mother and wife who suffered a fatal brain aneurysm after she had gone to the Taco Bell at 3725 E. Harry to get dinner for her family.

Her pickup struck the speaker box of the drive-through lane after she fell unconscious. Prosecutors say a group of men, including Johnson, then reached into the truck and stole the wedding ring off Zimmerman’s finger, her purse, $150 cash, some credit cards and a cellphone.

Zimmerman died in the hospital the following day.

Police arrested Johnson and two other men after receiving a Crime Stoppers tip. Children sledding off of Harry Street found the purse on Dec. 30.

Despite pleas and rewards offered for its return, Zimmerman’s ring remains missing, Dillon said Thursday.

Of the two other men accused in the case, Keith B. Hickles Jr., 20, is facing jury trial Dec. 22 on charges of aggravated burglary, robbery and misdemeanor theft.

A judge in October ordered 20-year-old Quanique D. Thomas-Hameen to serve 19 months in prison after he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft and aiding a felon. He is appealing those convictions, court records indicate.

Thomas-Hameen also is serving 27 months in prison plus one year in jail on two probation violations.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle

  Comments