Crime & Courts

Wichita man, 19, jailed in fatal crash that followed street race

A man was found dead Friday inside a burning car after a crash Friday morning on Woodlawn north of 21st Street.
A man was found dead Friday inside a burning car after a crash Friday morning on Woodlawn north of 21st Street. The Wichita Eagle

Authorities booked a 19-year-old man into Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of second-degree reckless murder and traffic-related offenses in connection with a street race that left a 23-year-old man dead, records show.

The man, identified in booking records as Darbin Matthew Tate of Wichita, was taken into custody and booked at 2:15 p.m. Friday, according to online jail records and a jail booking report.

He remained in jail Saturday on suspicion of murder, driving on a suspended or canceled license and leaving the scene of an injury accident. No bond amount was listed.

As of Saturday, Tate had not been criminally charged by prosecutors.

A Wichita police report released Saturday identified the man killed in the crash as Jordan Farber. Police Lt. Todd Ojile said Friday that the 23-year-old was found dead in the wreckage of a two-door Hyundai that shot off the road after it touched or bumped a four-door Chevy SS as they were racing on northbound Woodlawn.

The impact sent the Hyundai off the road and rolling into signs and several trees, uprooting them. Authorities found the car engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene, police have said. Farber’s body was found after firefighters doused the fire.

Farber’s 18-year-old girlfriend was riding with him but was either thrown from the Hyundai or climbed out after impact, Ojile said Friday. She was taken to Wesley Medical Center in serious condition. She has since been released, a hospital operator said Saturday.

The high-speed race tipped off shortly before 3 a.m. Friday after both vehicles had stopped at a red light at 21st Street North and Woodlawn, Ojile said Friday. The crash occurred at Woodlawn and Ironhorse. The posted speed limit in that area is 40 mph.

The Chevy SS did not stop when the Hyundai left the road, police have said.

Police later recovered the Chevy in a parking lot at 21st and Rock Road, Ojile said. Officers arrested Tate on Friday at 1945 N. Rock Road — the address for Sundance Apartments — and took him to City Hall for an interview, according to the police report and booking records.

Police said Friday that the Chevy belongs to a man who let his daughter drive it. She, in turn, allowed the 19-year-old involved in the street race to borrow it.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle