Man wanted for sexual exploitation of a child shot and killed by police Wednesday
A 45-year-old man wanted in connection with child sex crimes is dead after being shot by police in southeast Wichita on Wednesday morning.
Officers were attempting to take the man into custody on suspicion of eight counts of sexual exploitation of a child, WPD Capt. Aaron Moses said, when the man pulled out a firearm and pointed it at police. A Wichita police officer opened fire, striking the man several times. The man, who was not immediately identified but was described by police as a 45-year-old white man, died at the scene.
“It’s unfortunate that deadly force had to be used, but that was the decision of the defendant in this case,” Wichita Police Chief Joe Sullivan said during a news conference.
While Wichita police did not immediately know when the warrant for the man was initially issued, Sullivan said it was a tip from a resident that brought members of the Wichita Police Department SWAT team and the United States Marshals Service to an apartment in the 9200 block of East Harry around 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning.
Police had been tipped off that the 45-year-old man in the apartment “was armed with at least one firearm, and stated that he was going to get into a shootout with police,” Moses said, so after police located the man around noon, they waited until he left the apartment to attempt to apprehend him.
Police and marshals stopped the man in the 8900 block of East Cherry Creek, where they identified themselves as police officers multiple times and told the man that he was under arrest, Moses said.
That’s when the man drew a firearm, he said, prompting a WPD officer to open fire. Medical services were rendered, but the man was declared dead at the scene.
“There’s a dangerous person off the street today, someone who represents a danger to our children,” Sullivan said. “So we’re thankful for our partners, and we’re especially grateful that our officer is safe and unharmed.”
No one else was injured in the shooting, Moses said. Because a Wichita police officer was involved in the shooting, the investigation into the incident will be spearheaded by the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office.
In the meantime, Cherry Creek between Capri and Cypress will remain closed for an undisclosed amount of time. Residents who live in the area should contact police, who will escort them to their homes, if they need to enter the area.