Crime & Courts

Teen and 20-year-old injured in suspected drive-by shooting in south Wichita

Wichita Police Department public information supervisor Andrew Ford provides an update on a Sunday night shooting that injured a 20-year-old man and 17-year-old girl.
Wichita Police Department public information supervisor Andrew Ford provides an update on a Sunday night shooting that injured a 20-year-old man and 17-year-old girl. Wichita Police Department / Facebook

Two people were critically injured in what police suspect may have been a drive-by shooting in a south Wichita neighborhood Sunday night.

Andrew Ford, the Wichita Police Department’s public information supervisor, said the shooting was reported around 8:17 p.m. in the 1800 block of South Washington.

At the scene, police found an injured 17-year-old girl and 20-year-old man. The girl had a graze wound to her upper body, while the man had been shot in his lower back.

Both are expected to survive, Ford said.

“We want everybody to have a safe holiday going into the new year,” Ford said. “It’s unfortunate that something this tragic happened. We’re thankful that the two victims are in stable condition and will hopefully recover.”

Police said they’re still working to determine what lead to the shooting. Preliminary evidence, Ford said, suggests it may have been a drive-by.

“Our investigators are working to gather that evidence in trying to figure out what actually happened and transpired here tonight,” Ford said.

Further complicating the narrative was reported gunshots fired at a residence in the same block. Multiple shell casings were found at the scene, Ford said.

Portions of the neighborhood were closed off overnight as investigators collected evidence, and the shooting suspect remains at large. At this time, police do not have a description of the individual or vehicle.

“We want to find out who this suspect is, who committed this incident — this crime — and we want to make sure they’re held accountable,” Ford said.

Allison Campbell
The Wichita Eagle
Allison Campbell is a breaking news reporter for The Wichita Eagle and a recent graduate of Wichita State University. While at WSU, Campbell served as the news editor and editor-in-chief of the student newspaper, The Sunflower. She was also named the 2025 Kansas Collegiate Journalist of the Year.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER