Crime & Courts

Three now in custody after shooting and chase, Wichita police say

Officers were led on a manhunt over a few hours Tuesday after a suspect tried to run over a Wichita officer in a stolen vehicle and he opened fire at a McDonald’s drive-through.

A 1999 white Jeep was reported stolen at 8 a.m. The owner and a family member followed the stolen vehicle to the drive-through at 2261 N. Amidon Ave. just north of 21st Street. When officers moved in to arrest the suspects around 10:26 a.m., the driver accelerated and tried to run over an officer, Officer Paul Cruz said.

The officer fired several rounds at the Jeep.

The driver then plowed into the back of a Buick Century driven by a 72-year-old woman. She was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Cruz said.

The driver then headed north on Amidon Street.

McLean, Cloud and Pleasant Valley elementary schools, as well as Pleasant Valley Middle School, were placed on lockout while the chase went on, a school official said.

Eventually, the vehicle wrecked around 29th and Halstead streets.

Malia Southern, 15, said she heard the crash while doing homework and went outside to see a 30-year-old woman being taken into custody.

“She was limping,” Southern said.

Two men escaped.

A 30-year-old man then stole a Honda CR-V from an elderly couple a quarter-mile away on the 2400 block of N. Stauffer Street, Cruz said. He did not know if the couple was injured in the exchange.

An alert for the green Honda CR-V went out.

Eventually, a Sedgwick County deputy spotted the green SUV a few blocks away near I-235 and 25th Street.

The man headed west into the county, Sheriff Jeff Easter said, adding the suspect clocked triple digits and went toward oncoming traffic during the chase.

The chase ended when the man tried to dodge a police-vehicle barricade around 55th and K-42 and left the road. The man got the SUV stuck in a pond-like area and surrendered.

The man was taken to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis for a broken arm, “maybe (from a) gunshot wound,” Easter said.

Because of the type of call — being accused of using a vehicle as a weapon, hijacking another vehicle and going toward a rural area — Easter authorized officers to use deadly force. But it did not come to that.

Officers used a dog and a drone to look for the third suspect in the 29th and Halstead area.

Police reported the third suspect was in custody around 3:10 p.m. around 29th and Meridian. The 27-year-old had a gunshot wound to his leg and was taken to the hospital, Cruz stated.

Cruz said a BB gun was tossed out of one of the stolen vehicles and has been recovered.

Editor’s note: Earlier versions of this story contained incorrect names for Pleasant Valley elementary and middle schools .