Crime & Courts

Autopsy report: Suspect in Southlake standoff died of multiple gunshots fired from a distance

Jared Lee Woosypiti – hyped on meth and painkillers – died from multiple gunshots to his torso that were fired long-range, an autopsy report for the 24-year-old Southlake Village standoff suspect shows.

A Sedgwick County coroner noted in the report that each of the four rounds that pierced his skin on July 11 were delivered from a distance – corresponding with official reports that police fired upon Woosypiti during the final minutes of the 32-hour ordeal.

Following the standoff’s end, authorities declined to say whether Woosypiti’s wounds were caused by officers or himself. A police incident report indicates the 24-year-old was killed by police fire.

The coroner ruled his death a homicide.

According to his autopsy report, Woosypiti had gunshot wounds in his back, upper right abdomen, right side and right thigh. One round pierced a lung and cracked two ribs; another hit his liver, small intestine and spine. The round that struck his side, described as a “jacketed small caliber projectile,” was recovered during the autopsy.

Woosypiti tested positive for methamphetamine, marijuana and amphetamine (speed), as well as painkillers derived from codeine and morphine. Children’s clothes encased each of his feet, according to the report; a green tow cable extending 82 inches from his body was wrapped around his ankles.

Authorities last week declined to answer questions about the autopsy and about the number of rounds fired by law enforcement during the standoff.

When asked the status of the case, Reno County Sheriff Randy Henderson said he was still awaiting documents, including the autopsy, needed to complete the investigation. He said he would submit a report to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office when it was complete.

Asked about the case, District Attorney Marc Bennett’s office said Friday that “this matter is under investigation.”

“As such time that information is available for release, we’ll notify you,” Bennett’s spokesman Dan Dillon said in an e-mailed response to questions.

Wichita’s police spokesman, Lt. Doug Nolte, deferred questions to the Reno County Sheriff’s Office.

Woosypiti, of Derby, engaged law enforcement in the standoff after he allegedly stole prescription drugs from a south Wichita Kmart and fired shots inside the store on July 10. He fled to the nearby Southlake Village Apartments, 4141 S. Seneca, where he barricaded himself in one of the units. Later, he busted through drywall and accessed a second apartment.

Police have said that during the 32-hour drama, Woosypiti fired shots at officers, was reportedly making bombs and dodged tear gas, controlled blasts and water cannons deployed by law enforcement to drive him out. He was also wanted in the July 4 stabbing of his girlfriend at his Derby home.

During a news conference last month, Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams said those threats, coupled with Woosypiti’s unwillingness to surrender and officers’ fatigue, prompted him to make “the final decision to take him (Woosypiti) out.”

Woosypiti reportedly died around 10 p.m. on July 11, according to law enforcement.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle