Five escape fire that heavily damages house near Harry and Broadway

A malfunctioning fireplace fan is being blamed for a fire that heavily damaged a house on South Wichita late Wednesday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 11 p.m. at 1437 S. Wichita, fire investigator Troy Thissen said. That’s northwest of Harry and Broadway.

Five people — three adults and two children — escaped unharmed from the fire, which caused an estimated $70,000 in damage to the house and its contents, Thissen said. The Red Cross was called out to assist them.

No injuries were reported in the incident, Thissen said. It took firefighters less than half an hour to extinguish the blaze.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.