The Red Cross wants to know about the “ordinary people performing extraordinary acts” to honor them as Wichita heroes.
Of the stories submitted to the Red Cross by July 29, the organization will select heroes for seven awards. They will be honored at a Wichita Heroes Breakfast on Dec. 14.
To nominate individuals, couples, groups or organizations in the south-central Kansas area, visit redcross.org/local/kansas/heroes-nominations.
Here are the Red Cross’ descriptions for each category:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Lifetime Hero: Presented to an individual who inspires others by their example. This individual has overcome hardship, risen above challenges, or dedicated their life to serving others.
▪ Gift of Life: Presented to an individual, couple, group or organization that supports the lifesaving mission through personal blood or platelet donations or inspiring others to give blood or platelets.
▪ Good Samaritan: Presented to an individual who is considered a hero because of their unselfish devotion and concern for the welfare of others.
▪ Call to Action: Presented to an individual who by circumstances beyond their control found themselves in a challenging situation and demonstrated extraordinary courage.
▪ Commitment to Community: Presented to an individual, couple, group or organization that has made a tremendous impact on the community through their volunteerism, philanthropy, service to others, or example.
▪ Disaster Relief: Presented to an individual or organization who has served an important role in disaster relief in our community.
▪ Public Servant Hero: Presented to an individual who in the line of duty (police, fire, military, medical, etc.) went above and beyond the call.
The Heroes Breakfast will take place at the Hyatt Regency Wichita, 400 W. Waterman, with about 350 community leaders and supporters.
Nomination forms can also be requested by calling 316-219-4031. Self nominations are not permitted.