Local

Official: Careless smoking leads to house fire near Pawnee, Seneca

One person was sent to the hospital with smoke inhalation after flames damaged a house at 2433 S. Handley shortly after 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, a Sedgwick County emergency dispatcher said.
One person was sent to the hospital with smoke inhalation after flames damaged a house at 2433 S. Handley shortly after 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, a Sedgwick County emergency dispatcher said. The Wichita Eagle

One person was hospitalized after flames damaged a house in southwest Wichita early Tuesday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 2433 S. Handley shortly after 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, a Sedgwick County emergency dispatcher said. Fire crews reported smoke and flames upon arrival at the house southeast of Pawnee and Seneca.

They needed about 15 minutes to put out the fire, the dispatcher said. Fire investigator Branden Arnold said the fire was the result of careless smoking and caused an estimated $27,500 in damage to the three-bedroom house and its contents.

The 43-year-old man who lives there was taken to Via Christi Hospital St. Francis for treatment of smoke inhalation and an evaluation of chest pains, according to Sedgwick County EMS.

Stan Finger: 316-268-6437, @StanFinger

  Comments