Here’s a list of bridge replacement and repair projects planned for Wichita and Sedgwick County this year.
▪ 21st Street bridge, west of I-135: Replace structurally deficient bridge, $1.4 million. Open only to westbound traffic during ongoing work. Expected to be done in July.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ John Mack bridge: Repair structural components so truck traffic can use the 1931-era bridge at 2700 S. Broadway, $1.2 million. Expected to be done in April.
▪ Pawnee bridge at Arkansas River: Rehabilitate existing bridge, $1.7 million. Significant erosion under east end is causing pavement failure. Edges of bridge also need repair Sidewalk will be patched and hand rail replaced. Officials hope to extend bridge’s life 40 years. Bridge will be closed during work projected to start in May and end in January 2017.
▪ Douglas bridge at Linden, between Rock and Webb roads: Replace structurally deficient bridge, $1.5 million. Single lane open each way until work is completed in July.
▪ 45th Street North bridge: Replace bridge that’s between Broadway and Hydraulic, $609,000. Heavy truck traffic. Expected to start May 1 and end by Sept. 1.
▪ 151st Street West bridge: Deck repairs to bridge that’s between 77th Street and 85th Street North, just north of K-96, $300,000. Traveling inconvenience for those driving on 151st Street and crossing Arkansas River. Expected to start in April and end in Sept. 1.
▪ 135th Street West bridge: Replace structurally deficient bridge over Dry Creek that’s between 21st Street and 29th Street North, just northeast of the YMCA’s Northwest branch, $1.21 million. Expected to start in May and end by Dec. 1.
▪ 61st Street North bridge: Deck repairs to bridge that’s between 279th Street and 295th Street West, $500,000. Expected to start March 1 and end Sept. 1.
▪ South Clifton bridge: Replace structurally deficient bridge south of Oaklawn, $400,000. Expected to start in mid-August and end by Dec. 1.
▪ Meridian bridge: Expansion joint repair to extend life of bridge in the northwest corner of Haysville and near 63rd Street South, nearly $1 million. Two lanes will be open, carrying traffic each way. Because lanes are narrow, truck traffic will be prohibited until work is completed. Expected to start in mid-April and end by Dec. 1.
▪ 71st Street South bridge: Replace structurally deficient bridge that’s between 247th Street and 263rd Street West, a little west of the entrance to the YMCA’s Camp Hyde, $300,000. Expected to start in April and end by Aug. 1.
▪ 103rd Street South bridge: Replace structurally deficient bridge that’s between 295th Street and 311th Street West in far southwest corner of the county, $370,000. Expected to start in April and end by Aug. 1.
▪ MacArthur bridges near Lake Afton: Both bridges cross Lake Afton’s park area, between 247th Street and 263rd Street West. Work will include repairing retaining walls and drainage improvements, $417,300. Expected to start in April and end July 1.
▪ 143rd Street East bridge: Replace structurally deficient bridge between 63rd Street and 71st Street South, near Cook Airfield, $690,000. Expected to start March 1 and end by July 1.
▪ MacArthur bridges: Twin bridges that cross Arkansas River between Hydraulic and K-15. Work will provide erosion protection for two sets of existing pillars, and deck repairs will be made to end repeated filling of potholes, $1.92 million. Began earlier this month and is expected to be completed fall.