Local

Blaze at Hutchinson motel the city’s 8th fire since Dec. 18

Electrical wiring that caught fire in the wall of a laundry room of Hutchinson’s Sunset Motel caused at least $50,000 in damage Saturday, Hutchinson Fire Department Battalion Chief Darin Gehring said.

Firefighters called to the motel shortly after 1 p.m. found smoke pouring out of the laundry room and out of the roof of one of the wings of the L-shaped, single-story motel at 2605 E. Fourth Ave., Gehring said.

“It didn’t take long and we had fire break through the roof line,” Gehring said. Most of the fire damage was contained to the attic and roof, but efforts to douse the flames led to smoke, water and heat damage in at least seven unoccupied rooms, as well as the laundry room and a storage room, he said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 30 minutes, Gehring said. No one was hurt, and although there were occupants of rooms in the hotel’s other wing, no one was evacuated, he said.

Damage was still being assessed Saturday afternoon.

The fire is the eighth at Hutchinson homes and businesses since Dec. 18, Gehring said. One that broke out on Christmas Eve at a home on West First Avenue turned fatal after an 8-year-old boy died from burn injuries Friday.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

  Comments