Local

Hutchinson boy, 8, dies from burns in Christmas Eve fire

Hutchinson fire department employee John Likes takes photographs of the burned house from the front porch Wednesday as he helps investigate an apartment house fire in Hutchinson. (Dec. 24, 2014)
Hutchinson fire department employee John Likes takes photographs of the burned house from the front porch Wednesday as he helps investigate an apartment house fire in Hutchinson. (Dec. 24, 2014) The Hutchinson News

An 8-year-old boy who suffered severe burns when a Hutchinson home caught fire on Christmas Eve has died.

Caiden Adams died at 10:46 p.m. Friday in the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis in Wichita, a hospital house supervisor said Saturday by phone.

Caiden was among seven people hospitalized — and the most seriously hurt — after an electrical issue sparked a fire in a two-story house shortly before 5 a.m. Dec. 24. The house, in the 400 block of West First Avenue, had been divided into apartments.

Fire crews arrived at the scene early Christmas Eve to find flames engulfing three sides of the house, the Hutchinson Fire Department said in a news release earlier this week.

Three people — a man, a woman and an infant — trapped in a second-floor apartment were rescued by firefighters and taken to a Hutchinson hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation, Battalion Fire Chief Darin Gehring said Saturday.

Caiden, who lived in a ground-floor apartment, escaped and was found lying in a neighbor’s yard, according to Gehring and local news reports. Three others — two people in Caiden’s household and a man who lived in another ground-floor apartment — also fled the home and were outside when fire crews arrived, Gehring said.

All were taken to a Hutchinson hospital, but the 8-year-old’s injuries were severe enough that he was transported to St. Francis immediately, Gehring said. He was in critical condition at the time.

Gehring said the boy had lived in the ground-floor apartment with three other people, including his mother and sister. He said the mother was not home when the fire started in the living room.

When he arrived at the scene, Gehring said, he briefly saw Caiden outside the house. The boy was “wrapped up in a blanket” and was with police, he said.

“I heard stories of how he got out but I don’t have any facts,” he said.

Gehring said the fire caused $100,000 in estimated damage to the house and its contents. It’s considered a total loss. The state fire marshal’s office also investigated, he said.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

  Comments