Local

Fire at Hutchinson dry cleaners ruled accidental

A fire that damaged a Hutchinson dry cleaners shop Thursday was caused by an electrical issue and has been ruled accidental by the state fire marshal, Hutchinson’s Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen said Friday.

Ineeda Cleaners, 1224 N. Main, sustained at least a $150,000 in damage when a small metal structure that houses a dryer and is attached to the back of the building caught fire shortly after 6:30 p.m. Thursday. The damage estimate could climb as the cost of damaged clothing is factored in, Hanen said.

“The fire appears to have started around an evaporator unit towards the rear of the store,” Hanen said Friday by e-mail.

Crews spent about 45 minutes dousing the fire, which had engulfed multiple layers of roofing atop the structure by the time firefighters arrived. No one was in the business at the time the fire broke out, but the cleaners had been open earlier in the day, Hanen said Thursday.

No one was hurt.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

  Comments