Local

Children’s queasy stomachs prompt evacuation of Augusta elementary school

A couple of queasy stomachs prompted the evacuation of Robinson Elementary School in Augusta on Wednesday morning, authorities said.

A third-grader and a fifth-grader came to the school nurse within minutes of each other shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday, Augusta superintendent John Black said.

“The nurse determined, based on the symptoms, that it was a possible carbon monoxide leak,” Black said.

With the principal away for a meeting, the nurse made the decision to evacuate the building. Kansas Gas Service was alerted and technicians went to the school to test carbon monoxide levels.

After students and staff waited outside the school for perhaps 15 minutes, Black said, the decision was made to get them out of the cold. They were taken to a nearby church, where teachers provided activities for the students until an all-clear was issued at about 11:15 a.m.

Students and staff returned to the building before noon.

“The worst thing that happened was lunch was served later than normal,” Black said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

  Comments