Kansas ranks first nationally in something.
And that something is the quickness with which Kansas cooks prepare a holiday meal.
Food company Del Monte has released the results of its Holiday Meal Census, which was based on a nationwide survey of 2,500 people.
So as cooks and their helpers get ready to head to grocery stores and kitchens to prepare their Christmas feasts, here are a few numbers to gnaw on:
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ The survey found that Kansans spend an average of 3.6 hours preparing a holiday meal.
▪ That means we edged out Iowa cooks, who clocked in at 3.7 hours.
▪ Also in the top five were Delaware, North Dakota and New Mexico.
▪ The slower states tended to be in the South.
▪ Mississippi ranked 50th. There cooks spend 7.1 hours on average preparing the holiday meal.