The Boeing site is a sprawling 413 acres on both sides of South Oliver, with large modern office buildings and cavernous hangars.
The site does not sit in the city of Wichita, and the company didn’t pay Wichita property taxes.
But the company did pay property taxes in Sedgwick County and the Derby School District. According to Sedgwick County, the site, valued in 2013 at $52.5 million, is the county’s third-largest taxpayer, behind Kansas Gas and Electric and Spirit AeroSystems. Last year it paid 1.2 percent of all county property taxes.
On the west side of Oliver, behind the trees, the site includes three large modern office buildings at 4615 S. Oliver.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The buildings total 625,000 square feet. The roughly 85-acre property includes a lake and thousands of parking spaces.
On the east side of Oliver, the company had its sprawling flight line and hangars on about 325 acres. These include:
▪ Commonly referred to as the north hangar, Building 4-056G is a large three-bay aircraft hangar used for maintenance and modification operations. The 330,035-square-foot hangar includes mezzanine and second-story support office space.
▪ Building 4-140H, a modification support hangar, includes high-bay hangar space that can accommodate aircraft as large as a 747-8 and a low-bay maintenance building. It also includes office space and 239,815 total square feet.
▪ Building 4-016K, a large, quonset hut-style aircraft hangar, is big enough to accommodate 767-200, B-52H, C-32, C-40, E-6 and KC-135 aircraft, marketing materials say. The hangar, built in 1954, measures 47,624 square feet. The hangar is currently being used by volunteers who are restoring a B-29 known as “Doc.”
▪ Building 4-118F, which employees commonly call the south hangar, includes four large hangar bays for maintenance and modification operations and support office space totaling 221,269 square feet. The building is leased to Spirit AeroSystems. Spirit uses the space for its Boeing 787 Dreamliner program.
▪ Building 4-023L includes offices, electronic laboratories and a fire department building, which includes firetruck bays. It totals 59,121 square feet of space.