Today’s best fest bets
1. Free food court admission: No button is needed for admission to the main food court from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Those who wish to take advantage of the deal should go to the main food court entrances, where they’ll receive a special bracelet.
2. Throwback Thursday: Didn’t buy one of this year’s buttons? On Thursday only, buttons from any past Wichita Riverfest will get you in.
3. Touch-a-Truck: Little boys and girls love trucks, and at Riverfest, they can climb all over big rigs, emergency vehicles and more. The event is from 5 to 8:30 p.m. on Waterman.
4. Big Easy Concert with Charles Bradley: Thursday night’s concert is from 5 to 10 p.m. and features Big Red Horse from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Monophonics from 7 to 8 p.m. and Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires from 8:30 to 10 p.m.
5. Goodwill Cajun Food Fest: The 29th installment of this event offers Cajun food lovers a big serving of chicken etouffee, red beans and sausage, shrimp gumbo with rice and crusty bread. The price is $8 for the meal, $3 for the bread pudding or $10 for both. The event is from 5 to 8:30 p.m. on Kennedy Plaza.
Festival food find
☆☆☆ (out of four)
Where to find it: Original Corn Roast in the main food court
What is it? A serving of five peach slices that have been battered and deep-fried and served with a side of glaze for dipping
How is it? The sweet breading clings nicely to the peaches (which have the tell-tale orangeness and texture of canned peach slices), and the glaze on the side adds just the right amount of sweetness. Only complaint: For the money, we wanted more peaches. The profit margin on this dish has to be huge.
Cost: $6 (six tickets)