Today’s best fest bets
1. Celebrity Egg Toss: See which local celebrities will end up with egg on their faces (and clothes). The contest starts at noon at Kennedy Plaza.
2. Opera Kansas: The group has returned to Riverfest and will offer Offenbach’s one-act comedy “The Island of Tulipatan” at 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. at the floating stage in Ackerman’s Backyard.
3. Cardboard Regatta: Participants must try to build a river-worthy vessel in 90 minutes or less with cardboard, duct tape, pool noodles and a box cutter. Building will happen from 1:30 to 3 p.m., and they’ll launch between 3 and 3:30 p.m. at the Douglas Avenue Bridge.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
4. Hip Hop Showcase: Nappy Roots will headline this concert, which happens from 4 to 10 p.m. It will be the last band on the bill at 9 p.m.
5. Coleman Country Concert with Easton Corbin: The country concert starts at 3:45 p.m., and Corbin will headline it starting at 8:30 p.m. It’s on the Kennedy Plaza stage.
Festival food find
☆☆ (out of four)
Where to find it: Big G’s
What is it? Approximately 32 ounces of sweet, mango-flavored iced tea
How is it? Big G’s mango tea is almost the antithesis of the semi-tasteless fruit-flavored teas at Panera Bread. It’s almost sickeningly sweet, and it comes in a massive plastic deli container. For the money, you get lots of tea, but that quantity of sugar will likely leave your stomach churning afterward.
Cost: $5 (Five tickets)