International superstars are performing in Wichita in 2015. With performances from the world-renowned bassist Samuel Ramey, the Russian National Ballet Theatre and the Alvin Ailey dancers, Wichitans can expect to see high-quality dance, song and music in the Air Capital. Here are five highlights to mark on your calendar:
▪ “Bluebeard’s Castle”: This one-act opera stars Ramey as Bluebeard. Hungarian-born Bela Bartok’s psychological thriller examines the dark secrets that lie behind the doors in Bluebeard’s castle. More than 9,000 pounds of hand-blown Chihuly glass sculptures will decorate the set.
Details: Wichita Symphony Orchestra. 8 p.m. March 13, 3 p.m. March 15, Century II Concert Hall, $30-$80, 316-267-5259 or www.wichitasymphony.org
▪ Time for Three: This dynamic trio of two violinists and a double bassist is returning to Wichita. These celebrated musicians, comprised of three Curtis Institute graduates, perform music from Bach to Brahms to Katy Perry and the Beetles – all with their unique spin. They use a high-energy, interactive, technically superb approach.
Details: Wichita Symphony Orchestra. 8 p.m. Jan. 30-31, 2 p.m. Feb. 1, Century II Concert Hall, $20-$67, 316-267-5259 or www.wichitasymphony.org
▪ Ailey II: The Alvin Ailey dancers use the beauty and themes of African-American culture and other heritages to produce astoundingly magnificent modern dance movements. With their high-energy dance, they seek to unite people of all ages and cultures.
Details: The Orpheum, 200 N. Broadway, 8 p.m. March 6, $30-$40, 1-855-755-7328 or www.selectaseat.com
▪ “Turandot”: Giacomo Puccini’s opera tells a story of love and honor. Bulgarian soprano Zvetelina Vassileva stars as the self-centered princess in this captivating opera that takes place in a palace in Peking.
Details: The Wichita Grand Opera. 7 p.m. Aug. 28, Century II Concert Hall, $20-$95, 1-855-755-7328 or www.selectaseat.com
▪ “Swan Lake”: Russian-trained dancers from the Moscow-based Russian National Ballet Theatre are bringing Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s famed “Swan Lake” to Century II. More than 50 classically-trained dancers will tell the endearing tale of love and magic in this ballet that features beautiful choreography, music and costumes.
Details: The Wichita Grand Opera. 7 p.m. May 3, Century II Concert Hall, $20-$95, 1-855-755-7328 or www.selectaseat.com