Bierocks are a very Kansas delicacy — a meat-and-cabbage filled pastry brought to the plains by the Volga Germans.
The recent opening of Bierocks, Brats n' BBQ in Delano makes three local restaurants that specialize in bierocks, and several other restaurants have added them to their menus over the past several years.
"I had a lot of people ask me for them," said Mary Hansen, the owner of Bierocks, Brats n' BBQ at 1225 W. Douglas. "They're something different — sort of Kansas Yoder-ish and Mennonite-ish."
Following is a list of several places that either specialize in or regularly bake the official meat pie of Kansas.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* Bierocks, Brats n' BBQ, 1225 W. Douglas, 316-393-9580: Longtime Kansas State Fair concessionaire Hansen opened her new place a month ago, and it's been popular so far. Her bierocks come loaded with choice of beef, beef and cheese, or sausage. She's toying with the idea of adding a barbecue bierock and a couple of other offbeat flavors after the first of the year. Hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays.
* M&M Bierocks, 2065 E. Central, 316-262-6263. M&M is the newer name for the former Bierock Kitchen, and new owner Mary Morian is using the same recipe the original owners did. Flavors include meat and cheese, meat with no cheese, ham and cheese and vegetarian. The drive-through-only restaurant is open from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays.
* Riverside Bierocks. 828 W. 11th St., 316-806-9442: The people behind Kechi Bierocks at 61st and Woodlawn in Kechi have a second location across from the Riverside Perk in Wichita. Riverside Bierocks serves several types of bierocks, including original, original with cheese, ham and cheese, and beef and double cheese with bacon, as well as hot dogs, brats and sides such as baked beans and potato salad. The tiny new restaurant is carryout only and is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and from noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays.
* Piccadilly Grill, 7728 E. Central, 316-681-1100: The longtime Wichita restaurant has a menu that includes bierocks, which are made fresh at Bagatelle Bakery. They're also available for carryout from Piccadilly's deli.
* College Hill Deli, 3407 E. Douglas, 316-687-0202: The neighborhood restaurant has a nicely seasoned bierock on its menu, although it's called "bierock pie." (Same thing.)
* The Bay Leaf, 3700 E. Douglas, 316-689-8838: The little lunch spot and bar offers tiny little bierock bites, and they're tasty.
* The Pump House, 825 E. Second St., 316-262-7867: Bierocks are a lunch special every Monday at the Pump House.
* Java Villa, 7812 E. Harry: The coffee shop serves bierocks Mondays through Saturdays.